Friday, June 29, 2012

Miss Representation

Please please please see this movie if you have the chance.  I believe it is important for ALL men, women, employers, female and male young adults, and parents to see. I saw this movie last night and was very impacted by its message.  It wasn't new information for me, but it was presented in a very upfront manner.  The movie has renewed my commitment to be vigilant about the message that media is sending my daughter and also to be more supportive and encouraging of other women in my industry.  I think this is particularly important in the industry I work in, which is still heavily skewed toward males.



And after taking the MissRepresentation.org pledge, I'd like to pass along some actions I plan to take and you can take immediately to make a difference:
  • Parents- watch TV and films with your children.  Raise questions like “What if that character had been a girl instead?”
  • Remember your actions influence others. Mothers, aunts and loved ones- don’t downgrade or judge yourself by your looks. Fathers, uncles and loved ones—treat women around you with respect.  Remember children in your life are watching and learning from you.
  • Use your consumer power. Stop buying tabloid magazines and watching shows that degrade women. Go see movies that are written and directed by women (especially on opening weekend to boost the box office ratings). Avoid products that resort to sexism in their advertising.
  • Mentor others! It’s as easy as taking a young woman to lunch. Start by having open and honest conversations with a young person in your life.

No comments: