In the past year, Brian and I have lost over 110 pounds!, and we've lost over 80 since the beginning of the year.
Quick list of changes we've made and things we do that have helped us get here
- We both generally follow a Weight Watchers plan. It consists of education about portion sizes and following the 8 Good Health Guidelines:
1. Eat at least five servings of vegetables and fruits each day.
2. Choose whole-grain foods, such as brown rice and oats, whenever possible.
3. Include two servings of milk products – low fat (1%) or fat-free – each day.
4. Have some healthy oil (olive oil, canola, sunflower, safflower or flaxseed) each day.
5. Ensure that you are getting enough protein by choosing at least a serving or two of meat, poultry, fish, eggs, or dried beans each day. Many dairy products are also good sources of protein.
6. Limit added sugar and alcohol.
7. Drink at least 6 8-ounce glasses of water a day.
8. Take a multiple vitamin-mineral supplement each day.
Through WW, I eat tons of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, some lean proteins and low-fat or fat-free dairy, and still have room for treats so I never feel deprived. I drink LOTS of water, and get a small amount of healthy oil in every day. I LOVE the Weight Watchers program and would recommend it to anyone!
- We TRY to not go back for seconds. Brian's better about this than I am.
- We eat MOST meals at home, which for us makes it much easier to be healthy.
- We've both started running! I'm training for a half marathon, and Brian is very consistent about running at the rec center and around our neighborhood.
- We only weigh-in once a week, which helps us avoid getting overly excited or disappointed by the typical daily ups and downs in our weights.
- We encourage each other every day...doing this together has been such a wonderful thing for us. I can't imagine us ever going back to "before".