Sunday, August 9, 2009

I Still Knit Sometimes

...but not much.

Full-time mama duty doesn't leave a lot of time for knitting. And when I do finally collapse on the couch at night after putting Sadie to bed around 8:30 or 9:00 p.m., I just don't seem to have the energy for starting a new knitting project.

But...I have finished a couple things since Sadie was born. This cute hat doesn't fit Sadie anymore, but I can't wait to pass it along to the next little girl in our midst.


(for you knitters....It's the Upside-Down Daisy hat from Itty Bitty Hats by Susan B. Anderson.)
Aside from the pure joy I get from creating something handmade, my favorite thing about knitting is giving knit items away. I rarely keep anything I knit...I probably own less than 5 items from a 10+ year knitting career. But one of the great pleasures in my life is knowing that the people I love own and (hopefully) wear the handknit pieces that I have lovingly made for them.

One of the most influential people in my life during the past year (and maybe my life) is the woman who was my doula during Sadie's birth. I've spoken before on my blog about what an amazing childbirth educator Brandy was and how important her support was during my very long labor. here and here
During my first few weeks at home post-partum I spent a lot of time trying to think of what I could give Brandy to try and express the amazing sense of gratitude I was feeling for her services and support. Nothing I thought of seemed to fit the bill. Socks, scarves, a hat, maybe a hat/mitten/scarf set? While these are gifts I love to give, none of them seemed suitable for Brandy's thank you gift.
I finally settled on a shawl. I had never knit a shawl, and my mom's shawl project had inspired to me try. A shawl can be a work of art, and an heirloom. It seemed like the perfect choice. I had been saving my Kauni Rainbow yarn for a special project. And I had my eye on the Revontuli pattern (Revontuli means Northern Lights in Finnish).
I was so happy with how this shawl turned out! It was every bit as beautiful as I'd hoped for. I showed it off to everyone that came to my house...I don't think I've ever been so proud of anything I've knit.


It was wonderful to be able to give this to Brandy as a small token of my appreciation for everything she has done for me as a woman and as a mother.

Thank you Brandy!!

1 comment:

Procrastinating perfectionist said...

That is really gorgeous. Once Sadie is a bit older you'll have more time to knit. When Jack was born I don't think I knitted a thing until he was close to one. I spent all my time with the boys, nursing and enjoying the time that they were little. Now, they drive me crazy and I look forward to getting in some knitting time!

One of the main reasons I am contacting you was I was concerned with all the commotion today on your block! I saw all the trucks go down your street and thought of you and Sadie. Still don't know what happened but it was on the other side of the street. Hopefully no one was hurt!
I have seen you walk your dog a couple times and have waved, not sure if you knew it was me or not. But just wanted to stop by and say hi and glad to know you guys are okay.