Thursday, February 6, 2014

I Am A Sewing Machine

 
Four years ago (I am having a hard time believing it's been that long) I bought this old sewing machine to see if I even liked sewing.  And I did!  I got really into it for a while, made a bunch of holiday gifts, and enjoyed having a new piece of furniture on which to store my crap (since that's the purpose it's served for many of those 4 years). 

And I really did like the sewing part...it was fun, relaxing, served as yet another creative outlet, and it is SO MUCH QUICKER than knitting...which might just be my favorite part. 

But although this old sewing machine is a beast, and I love the romanticism and style of its advanced age, I'll admit that it wasn't so easy to use.  It was pretty finicky and seemed to jam up on me a lot.  It required lots of oil and TLC to function.  And so I didn't seem to sew too incredibly often. 

Well, mama got a new sewing machine!  Brian bought me this awesome Brother sewing machine for Christmas this year and I am totally in love with it.  It is a breeze to use compared to my old beast, and so...I'm feeling totally reinvigorated about sewing again!
I've been sewing quite a bit, and have made some easy beginner projects including a couple drawstring bags (one for Sadie's ballet shoes, and one as a project bag for my knitting), and matching Sadie and Mama "rice paddies" (as we call them....rice bags that you heat up in the microwave to keep you warm).  

I made this fold-up changing pad for baby Maya...and hear that it's being put to good use....


 And am well on my way making (quilting! ) these colorful placemats....
 So much fun..blowing up my pinterest craftiness board with a billion and one ideas of things to sew.

No comments: