Thursday, April 8, 2010

A New Toy

It's a Kenmore Rotary sewing machine, Model 117-959, from 1948. I bought it from a nice woman in my neighborhood for $20.00.

Last time I used a sewing machine was in Home Economics class in 1990. And I was no good at it. I made a completely hideous and unwearable red shirt.

But I see such beautiful, hand sewn, crafty goodness out there on the Internet that I was curious if it would be something I'd like to try again.

So, there I was, with a sewing machine born the same year as my mother. And no idea what to do with it. It came with this ancient manual and box of confusing parts. But I spent a few nights poring over the manual, watching YouTube videos about how to thread a sewing machine, figured out what the heck a bobbin was, and took the plunge.

I bought myself a couple spools of thread and some funky fabrics.

My first project was a bookmark that I am using, but it really doesn't deserve to have its picture shown; it's quite pitiful. Then I made this sunglasses case. It's lined! And was supposed to have a drawstring ribbon, but since I sewed the opening shut, it's just a decorative ribbon.

And then I got really adventurous and made myself this apron (from this tutorial)! Yay! I don't want anyone to see it up close...but I'm actually pretty proud of it.

Just what I need, another hobby...

Here are a couple other projects I've found for inspiration.
What fun!!

5 comments:

nikki's spot said...

OMG that hanging book display is fabulous! These are super cute too... http://www.rookiemoms.com/make-some-easy-kids-pants/

One of these days I really need to learn to love to be crafty! I am so jealous of your talent! :)

song said...

I love the old school sewing machine! I'm sure you'll come up with some crafty projects.

Rachel P. said...

I would like to order an apron please. Lot's of color. Lot's of mistakes;0) I have been looking for the perfect one and I think I know where it's been hiding...

I'll expect delivery in about three years, right?

XOXO

Haley said...

You look so beautiful in the picture! Guess I haven't seen you in awhile - or all the pictures I've seen I've been focusing on Sadie!

Procrastinating perfectionist said...

Everything looks great! I love the fabric, did you get it at Stash? I have a sewing machine as well (along with all the other hobbies I started: beading, scrapbooking, photography...) and would love to take some classes to learn how to really use it to its fullest. Your "new" sewing machine is awesome!