Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Handmade Holiday

Way back in October, I made a pact with myself that I would make as many of our holiday gifts as possible. I wanted to save some money, but mostly, as a crafter, I feel that something I put thought, time, and energy into is so much more meaningful that something I can pick up at the mall. Sometimes an effort like this can be really stressful, but because I started planning for it several months in advance, this didn't add to any holiday stress for me. If anything, it was calming to spend more hours during the season behind the sewing machine or knitting needles.

First up...Sadie needed a new winter hat. So I finally finished the Duchess Cabled Hat. Ravelry details here.
For a holiday party hostess gift, I made this fun "Question Jar".

For my out-of-town girlfriends, wall organizers!

And for my sisters-in-law, Mari and Suzie, aprons...

And my crowning glory (that means it was the most difficult...) for the season was a table runner that I made for my mom.

Thank you to all the crafters out there for the inspiration, patterns, and tutorials. For a beginning sewer, it was certainly a comedy of errors. I'm sure anyone who knows anything about sewing would be utterly horrified watching me over the past couple months. I'm truly figuring this out as I go. But I'm having so much fun, and I'm so proud of the results!

No comments: