I'm halfway through the Enchanted Chameleon's 2-week Green Smoothie Challenge.
- Green Smoothies are a blended mixture of raw leafy greens, raw fruit or veggies, & water.
- Green smoothies are easy to digest. When blended well, all the valuable nutrients in these fruits and veggies become homogenized, or divided into such small particles that it becomes easy for the body to assimilate these nutrients.
- Green smoothies, as opposed to juices, are a complete food because they still have fiber.
- By consuming two or three cups of green smoothies daily you will consume enough of greens for the day to nourish your body, and they will be well assimilated.
- When you consume your greens in the form of green smoothies, you can greatly reduce the consumption of oils and salt in your diet.
I started drinking green smoothies right before I got pregnant with Sadie, but they didn't jive so well with morning sickness, so I dropped the habit. Suzanne's challenge has me back on track and I've been drinking at least 16 ounces of green smoothie a day for an entire week so far.
My favorites last week were the following:
blueberry, strawberry, rainbow chard, apple
banana, mango, red leaf lettuce
apple, blueberry, ginger, lemon, apple, swiss chard
I've picked up big bunches of organic romaine lettuce, kale, and spinach for this week's smoothies. Also some mango and pineapple to add to the other fruit I always have around the house. Sadie was initially joining me in drinking a green smoothie every day, but I think the spike in fiber was a lot for her system to take, so we've dropped her to every few days (she usually has a non-green smoothie on the other days).
It's been relatively easy to incorporate making these smoothies into my morning routine. They keep me satisfied until it's time for my mid-morning snack, and give me great energy. I've lost weight since starting the challenge, and I love knowing that I'm soaking up all the amazing benefits of these greens. I think this week I'll make a bigger batch each morning and take another smoothie to work with me for later in the day. Yummmm.....