Monday, January 2, 2012

Celebrations

We had such a busy holiday season, and although I'm feeling glad that it's over, we had such fun.

Since we were home throughout this season, we splurged on a real tree this year. Sadie wasn't so excited about the visit to the boy scout's tree lot in the middle of a blizzard, but she loved the reward of hot chocolate at our local diner afterward. We had such a great day listening to Christmas music and decorating. We had a holiday appetizer extravaganza with my family, including my Aunt Shirley, at my parents' house on December 11.

On December 16 and 17, we celebrated Christmas with my family at my parents' house, and included all my favorite Ingersoll family traditions: crepe Suzettes for breakfast, bagels and lox for lunch, a big beautiful Christmas dinner, and a long, drawn-out gift exchange. Hot tub time for me and Sadie, lots of crazy dogs, and a walk around the circle. Just lovely.

The following week, we started lighting the candles each night for Chanukah, which Sadie loved being a part of. And on the winter solstice, we had our own celebration for the three of us. Our tradition has started to include chinese takeout, a movie, and simple gift exchange. It was simple and meaningful, and just what we wanted. Handmade, local soaps and goodies for me....a new cast-iron skillet, and a big stack of books! A record player and pile of handpicked records for my sweetie. Princess shoes and a train set for Sadie (love the juxtaposition in this photo....)On Christmas Eve Eve, last minute plans to have our neighbors and dear friends over for dinner fell through, but dinner was cooked and the table was set, so my parents joined us for an impromptu dinner party. Any excuse to use my pretty china makes me happy.....Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were spent with the Petersons. It was SO nice to have an entire weekend with them. I love the beautiful candlelight Christmas Eve service we attend, and of course I enjoyed all the delicious food cooked by my mother-in-law. What a treat to have our friends and their precious new baby, Grayson, join us for Christmas dinner.
Yes, I am glad that it's all over...I'm ready to get back to my healthy lifestyle after all the extravagance of the season. I'm ready to focus on work again now that I'll be working full weeks. And I'm ready to get back into the rhythm of daily life in our family. But it was a perfectly wonderful holiday season and I feel so grateful for all the family and friends our lives are filled with, and so thankful that we get to celebrate with them this time of year...we are truly lucky.

No comments: