The media has been full of discussions about gay marriage since constitutional amendments defining marriage as a union between one man and one woman only were approved in California, Arizona, and Florida on November 7, 2008. This issue has been on my mind a lot and I'm feeling saddened. I can't believe that although this country passed a major milestone in electing our first African American president, a majority of Americans are threatened by the right of two consenting adults to enter into a loving commitment that will be recognized by their government. Why should discrimination be up for a majority vote? What does any of this have to do with me and the sanctity of my own marriage? Of course two people who love each other and are committed to each other should be afforded the same rights that I am as a heterosexual married woman.
I saw this in the blogosphere today and thought I would repost it. It sums up how ridiculous arguments against gay marriage have always seemed to me.
10 Reasons Why Gay Marriage is Wrong:01) Being gay is not natural. And real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.
02) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
03) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.
04) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn’t changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can’t marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
05) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britney Spears’ 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
06) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn’t be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren’t full yet, and the world needs more children.
07) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.
08) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That’s why we have only one religion in America.
09) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That’s why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven’t adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.