I can still remember it so vividly.....my favorite weekend of the summer. How is it possible that this was my favorite? With all the traveling, and family, and scenery, and music, and festivating....as I've said, the entire summer was so lovely. I feel like we squeezed all the life and love and beauty and magic that we could out of this summer. And yet...
This simple, unplanned, last-minute, rainy weekend was my very favorite.
And what made it so?
- beautiful, interesting, free-spirited children
- good friends
- like-minded parents
- unhurried, open ended conversations
- long, chilly mornings spent snuggled in the Scamp reading
- more mandolin playing in one weekend than I've quite possibly every partaken in
- more confidence and shedding-of-hang-ups about my mandolin playing than I've ever experienced
- a wide open meadow with plenty of space for our babies to run and play without our constant hovering
- late night campfires
- the best starry night of the summer
- hot tea and cold beers, at all the right times
- simple meals....just enough to keep us satisfied
- the feeling that I had all I needed or wanted right there in that peaceful meadow, that I didn't want it to end, and that I wanted to do it all over again the minute I got home.