Friday, July 15, 2011

Imagination

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - Albert Einstein


Last night I experienced one of my very favorite moments as a parent, to date. I saw Sadie's imagination at work for the first time (at least completely obviously like this).

Sadie told me that she had a boo-boo and a tummyache and was going to the doctor. When I asked her what the doctor was going to do, she said the doctor would kiss it and make it better (of course! that's how that stuff gets fixed when you're that age...).

The she gave me a big hug and kiss, ran to the other side of the living room, "talked" to the doctor, and came back and said she was all better.

On the 4th trip to the doctor I asked her to stop and get some milk, ice cream, and crackers on her way home from the doctor. She went to a different corner to get these items and then came home and pretended to put them in the fridge. Then she passed milk and ice cream out to Brian and me when we requested it.

This went on and on...and was SO FUN to watch! I really have never seen her engage in this type of imaginative play to such a level of detail and for such an extended period of time. And usually when we talk about things that are pretend, it's at my urging. I'll ask her if she thinks the birds are leaving to go home for dinner when they fly away, etc. But this was all her.

Let that imagination soar, little Sadie. It'll take you far!

No comments: